Make Conscious Choices With a GROWTH-Oriented Mindset
Because the RIGHT GROWTH-oriented Mindset is the foundation of all personal and organisational success, this should be the core foundation of all staff, teams, and leaders. If we, and managers, understood how important a Growth-Oriented mindset is to our success, we would ensure that ALL staff have ongoing GO Growth-Oriented) Mindset Mastery training, coaching, and support.
If we are ever to create a great place to work, sustainably, we have to shift our approach and mindsets to create more unity and remove all of the issues creating division, workplace politics, wars, and back stabbing/biting. Its time to unite us all and use business as a force for greater good for us all.
As you approach a challenge, that voice might say to you “Are you sure you can do it? Maybe you don’t have the talent.” “What if you fail—you’ll be a failure” “People will laugh at you for thinking you had talent.” “If you don’t try, you can protect yourself and keep your dignity.”
As you hit a setback, the voice might say, “This would have been a snap if you really had talent.” “You see, I told you it was a risk. Now you’ve gone and shown the world how limited you are.” “ It’s not too late to back out, make excuses, and try to regain your dignity.”
As you face criticism, you might hear yourself say, “It’s not my fault. It was something or someone else’s fault.” You might feel yourself getting angry at the person who is giving you feedback. “Who do they think they are? I’ll put them in their place.” The other person might be giving you specific, constructive feedback, but you might be hearing them say “I’m really disappointed in you. I thought you were capable but now I see you’re not.”
How you interpret challenges, setbacks, and criticism is your choice. You can interpret them in a fixed mindset as signs that your fixed talents or abilities are lacking. Or you can interpret them in a growth mindset as signs that you need to ramp up your strategies and effort, stretch yourself, and expand your abilities. It’s up to you.
So as you face challenges, setbacks, and criticism, listen to the fixed mindset voice and…
Step 3. Talk back to it with a Resilient and Growth-Oriented Mindset voice.
So…As you approach a challenge:
- THE FIXED-MINDSET says “Are you sure you can do it? Maybe you don’t have the talent.”
- THE GROWTH-MINDSET answers, “I’m not sure I can do it now, but I think I can learn to with time and effort.”
- FIXED MINDSET: “What if you fail—you’ll be a failure”
- GROWTH MINDSET: “Most successful people had failures along the way.”
- FIXED MINDSET: “If you don’t try, you can protect yourself and keep your dignity.”
- GROWTH MINDSET: “If I don’t try, I automatically fail. Where’s the dignity in that?”
As you hit a Setback:
- FIXED MINDSET: “This would have been a snap if you really had talent.”
- GROWTH MINDSET: “That is so wrong. Basketball wasn’t easy for Michael Jordan and science wasn’t easy for Thomas Edison. They had a passion and put in tons of effort.
As you face criticism:
- FIXED MINDSET: “It’s not my fault. It was something or someone else’s fault.”
- GROWTH MINDSET: “If I don’t take responsibility, I can’t fix it. Let me listen—however painful it is– and learn whatever I can.” Then…
Step 4. Take The Growth Oriented Mindset Action.
Over time, which voice you heed becomes pretty much your choice. Whether you
- Take on the challenge wholeheartedly,
- Learn from your setbacks and try again
- Hear the criticism and act on it is now in your hands.
Practice hearing both internal voices, and practice acting on the growth mindset. See how you can make it work for you.
The moment we become more conscious and aware, is the moment we have greater choice. The choices to use our mindsets, meaning and heartsets to build and unite us all – or to divide and separate into covertly combative tribes with isolated and competing goals. IF we are to truly succeed – we must embrace that we are in this TOGETHER.
www.lifemasters.co.za – Transform staff Mindsets and corporate / executive team building benefits and results from slow to go…..fast! For Gauteng Call Tony Dovale on 083-447-6300 or email us