5 Components of the Science of Happiness at Work ™
Recent robust research by iOpener UK into staff happiness identified five important components that inform and build greater levels of employee engagement and Happiness at Work. They matter because they facilitate a shift in mindset and performance, and a host of other personal and organizational benefits that go beyond improved engagement and satisfaction. That’s why it’s so important that everyone take action to build a hiugh performance workplace
- Contribution is the effort an individual or team makes.
- Conviction is your short-term motivation in both good times and bad.
- Culture is the extent to which you feel you fit at work.
- Commitment is your long-term motivation.
- Confidence is your belief in your own abilities at work.
These 5Cs act as a business style ecosystem: when one starts to become affected, the others will become unstable in turn. And that means staff performance will quickly drop off. But when everyone has high levels of all the 5Cs, then they’ll perform at their best whatever happens.
Pride, Trust and Recognition
The 5 Cs are supported by Pride, Trust, and Recognition. They correlate with each driver of happiness and are fundamental building blocks of any successful organization.
- Pride in your organization comes from identifying with it, knowing who your work affects, and being aware of its wider impact.
- Trust in your organization flows from two sources; your colleagues and your senior leaders.
- Recognition for your achievements comes from who you are, what you do, how you work, and how dedicated you are. It is about more than just money. It is about being recognized in the way you most prefer.
It has been found that Pride and Trust generally go together. If you’re proud of where you work, you’ll also trust your workplace and its leaders. Recognition works differently: This is about having personal effort noted and appreciated.
For business leadership talks, tools, tips. coaching, staff team building and consulting contact Tony Dovale on 083-447-6300